Soka Gakkai Charter
- Purpose and Principles
- SGI Australia Code of Business Principles
- Standard of conduct
- Legal Requirements
- Community Engagement
We, the Soka Gakkai organizations and members throughout the world, share the aim and mission of promoting peace, culture and education based on the Buddhist teaching of respect for the dignity of life.
In the face of multiple, interlocking crises, it is clear that humanity’s survival and flourishing must be a shared, cooperative undertaking founded in an awareness of our intimate connections with all forms of life. Everyone’s contribution is needed, and no one must be left behind.
We believe that the teachings of Nichiren Buddhism offer a means for each of us to manifest within the realities of daily life the unlimited capacity for wisdom, courage and compassion we all possess. We therefore seek to foster individuals who are empowered to take on the daunting challenges we face and are committed to building a more just and sustainable world for future generations.
We, the respective organizations of the Soka Gakkai, raising high the banner of global citizenship, the spirit of active tolerance and respect for human dignity, and determined to confront the threats facing humankind based on an unwavering commitment to nonviolence and the culture of peace, hereby adopt this charter, affirming the following purposes and principles.
Purposes and Principles
- The Soka Gakkai will contribute to peace, culture and education based on the Buddhist teaching of respect for the dignity of all life.
- The Soka Gakkai will promote an understanding of Nichiren Buddhism through grassroots dialogue and exchange, thereby contributing to the realization of human happiness and well-being.
- The Soka Gakkai will respect and promote freedom of thought, conscience and religion.
- The Soka Gakkai will, based on the Buddhist spirit of tolerance, respect other religious and philosophical traditions, engaging in dialogue and working together with them toward the resolution of the fundamental challenges confronting humankind.
- The Soka Gakkai will respect local cultures and customs, and the autonomy of each organization. Each organization will develop its activities in accordance with the laws and conditions prevailing in that country or territory and will encourage its members to contribute to society as responsible citizens.
- The Soka Gakkai will work for peace and a world free from nuclear weapons and will promote just and sustainable development.
- The Soka Gakkai will safeguard and promote human rights. It will not discriminate against any individual and will oppose all forms of discrimination. It will contribute to the achievement of gender equality and promote the empowerment of women.
- The Soka Gakkai will respect cultural diversity and promote intercultural exchange, thereby contributing to mutual understanding and cooperation among the world’s peoples.
- The Soka Gakkai is committed to building a sustainable world for future generations, addressing the climate crisis, and protecting and caring for the ecosystems of Earth.
- The Soka Gakkai will promote education, learning and scholarship, to enable all people to cultivate their individual character and enjoy contributive, fulfilling and happy lives.
SGI Australia Code of Business Principles
The SGI Australia (SGIA) Code of Business Principles describes the standards of conduct for our staff throughout Australia. This code reflects our SGI Charter and the philosophy of our founders.
Standard of conduct
All of our operations and activities as staff are to be conducted with transparency, honesty, integrity and a profound respect for human rights and the equality of all peoples. SGIA commits to the wellbeing of and best interest of its staff and members at all times.
All interactions with the community will be conducted with the highest standards of business practice and humanistic engagement.
SGIA will comply at all times with the legitimate laws of the land. Our employment strategies will fulfil the needs of our members and not be influenced by any form of discrimination.
SGI Australia requires that all employees accept responsibility to represent our organization in an exemplary manner, including appearance, behaviour, consideration and productivity. SGIA will provide training, feedback opportunities, regular reviews and a healthy, clean and well-equipped environment to support and enable employees to fulfil their responsibilities.
SGIA will provide regular and reliable information on our activities, structure, financial situation and performance to all financial members. Fair hearing will be given by any employee who claims legitimate unfair treatment or discrimination. Complaints will be heard by the General Manager. If the complaint involves the General Manager, it will be heard by the Board of Directors. Action based on these complaints will be at the discretion of the General Manager or the Board as required.
SGIA will engage in promoting a harmonious expression of our values in concert with the community generally and in considered partnerships with like-minded organisations and individuals.
SGIA will promote business practice and activities while maintaining respect for, and protection of the environment, within its capabilities and within community standards and legal compliance.
Staff are required to comply with this code of business principles as implemented by management under direction from the Board of Directors. Non-compliance may result in censure and/or other penalties or termination.
SGI Australia ABN: 74 005 126 107